on Tuesday, October 20, 2009in Muscle & Bodybuilding
It’s common knowledge that if you want to lose weight you must decrease your calories consumed and increase your calories burned.¬† However, not everyone is aware that the opposite applies for muscle building.¬†¬† *Gasp*
So if building big guns is your game, then here are 9 ways to gain muscle…
1. Eat More – Start reading food labels to get a sense of how many calories you’re already eating. Then add 500 to that number and start eating that many calories every day.¬† Aim for 1 gram of protein per kg of body weight.
2. Limit Cardio- Do up to two days of light jogging on the treadmill, but keep it to around 30 minutes per session.¬† You don’t want to burn away the precious calories necessary for building muscle.
3. Stay in the Rep Zone – Your reps should be between 8 and 12 per set.
4. Use a Split Routine – Upper body one days lower body the next.¬† Give your muscles enough time to recover before attacking them again.¬† Use big compound exercises. Have a look at this post for tips.
5. Stretch – Stretching exercises will increase your flexibility and improve your muscle recovery.
6. Eat Regularly – 5 or 6 small meals a day will give you the calories you need to build muscle, and the metabolism kick to keep your fat burning.
7. Change – Change your program every 4-6 weeks so your body doesn’t have a chance to plateau
8. Drink Shakes – Protein shakes are a great substitute to a meal, and are best consumed straight after a workout when your body is most able to absorb protein.
9.¬† Recover – This is where the magic happens.¬† Get at least 7-8 hours sleep each night.
Seriously, if your not using a program that’s congruent to your goals, and your not getting personal 1 on 1 support…Don’t wast your time trying to build muscle. If you want to start with one – check out our Training Programs section.Found this post useful and want more? Subscribe to our Blog feed
About TravisTravis Steffen is a Master Trainer and founder of WorkoutBOX. After years of experience training professional athletes and thousands of others just like you, he knows exactly what it takes to get you in serious shape. Follow his expert guidance and you're guaranteed to get amazing results.Want to hear even more of what Travis has to say? Keep in touch with him on Facebook and Twitter!
Like this? Share it:
Done reading? Here are a few related posts:
- Lose Fat, Gain Muscle – Part I Lose fat, gain muscle…Sounds easy doesn’t it? ¬ Unfortunately the two can be conflicting goals. ¬ The most important part is that you establish exactly what your desired outcome in the gym is. ¬ Do you want to lose fat...
- Lose Fat, Gain Muscle – Part II This may not be the solution for everyone, but for the average guy who wants to cut a bit of fat and add a bit of muscle, this is a very effective way if done correctly. In the last post,...
- The Truth About Building Muscle – Part II In “The Truth about Building Muscle – Part I”, I mentioned that we are getting back to basics. ¬ Were going to look at the core areas of weight training, diet, supplementation and lifestyle and¬ dispel¬ the common myths that...