on Tuesday, September 1, 2009in Workouts & Exercises
The Janda sit-up just may be the epitome of all gut busting ab exercises and should without a doubt be a staple of any ab workout or routine. The Janda sit-up takes it’s name from it’s creator, Czechoslovakian exercise physiologist Vladimir Janda, one of the world’s foremost experts on muscle function analysis and back complications.
The problem experienced with so many of the more common ab exercises is that they tend to recruit the hip flexors while failing to isolate the abdominals themselves. When the hip flexors take on the work, excessive strain is placed on the spine, resulting in back pain and strain, not to mention a less effective ab workout. Recently, Canadian scientists determined that the janda sit-up maximized the load placed on the abdominals while minimizing recruitment of the hip flexors.
The Janda sit-up is far from easy, so if you’re new to working out you’ll need to build some core strength before attempting this challenging gut busting exercise. As with anything else, form is crucial so take your time to ensure that you get it right and you’ll be rockin’ that six pack in no time flat!
1) Position yourself on a mat in the basic sit-up position.
2) Bend the knees to 90 degrees.
3) Place feet flat on the floor while contracting the glutes and hamstrings. This is imperative to eliminating recruitment of the hip flexors.
4) Keeping the glutes contracted and hands at your sides, perform a steady sit-up at a 4-5 second pace.Found this post useful and want more? Subscribe to our Blog feed
About TravisTravis Steffen is a Master Trainer and founder of WorkoutBOX. After years of experience training professional athletes and thousands of others just like you, he knows exactly what it takes to get you in serious shape. Follow his expert guidance and you're guaranteed to get amazing results.Want to hear even more of what Travis has to say? Keep in touch with him on Facebook and Twitter!
Like this? Share it:
Done reading? Here are a few related posts:
- The Best Ab Exercises for a Flat Stomach Judging by the vast number of late night infomercials advertising gadgety gimmicks, claiming to provide the answer to a flat stomach and rippedÂ six pack abs, it seems safe to assume that most of us are in search of what...
- The Best Back Exercises to Improve Posture I was struggling to come up with a topic for todayâ€™s blog as I sat slumped and hunched over my computer noticing a nagging, familiar ache in my back. Aha! I quickly sat up and readjusted as the topic of...
- The Romanian deadlift…butt lift with a barbell! Most of us (men included) spend a lot of time and money on some, if not all of the following…hair products, cosmetics, colognes, spa treatments, plastic surgery, botox injections, salon services and moisturizers. The goal is to appear fresh faced,...