I see it all the time.
Somebody sees, hears, or experiences something that sparks that motivational fire.
They start changing their way of thinking to start working towards their new goal. They outline the steps they need to take, gather the resources they need to succeed, and they begin working hard. All signs point to success. They’re on track, moving forward, and driven to achieve their goals.
Then it happens.
One of their friends, family members, or their spouse pressures them into falling off the wagon. “It’s just this once” they say, as if it weren’t a big deal. But it’s never “just this once” with most people – at least not when these people are ever-present in their life.
Ever hear about drug addicts who have to stay away from certain people or locations because they’re seen as “enablers”? The same concept applies to you. Regardless of what your goal is (chances are if you’re reading this on WorkoutBOX your goal is to get in shape, but it applies to any and every goal), enablers exist – and they can KILL your progress.
Enablers are people, places or things that are going to hold you back from completing the necessary tasks you know you need to complete in order to work towards your goal. It might be a friend who wants to go out for a burger, a relative that pressures you into going to a party that you know is going to lead to binge eating or drinking, a roommate buying a bunch of junk food for your cupboards, or even your spouse convincing you to sleep in instead of going for an early morning run.
It doesn’t matter what their intentions are. While some might intentionally try to sabotage your success for a variety of reasons, many enablers don’t even mean to do what they’re doing to you. They just don’t share your goals.
We’ve all got them in our lives. The solution?
Once you’ve identified the enablers in your life, you’ve got two choices:
- If there’s an enabler you can cut out completely, do it. Get away from negative, unsuccessful people. Surround yourself with people who are positive influences on you. Make sure these people exemplify what you want to become. Learn from them. Let them rub off on your. Let them help shape your mind to get you into the correct psychological place that will catapult you to the success you deserve.
- If you can’t cut an enabler out completely (such as a family member or spouse), make them aware that they are enabling bad habits. Tell them what your goal is, and that you can’t achieve it if they continue encouraging you to stray from the path you’ve laid out for yourself. Most of the time they’ll even go out of their way to help you from here on out.
In essence, these two options boil down into one thing – getting rid of the enabler. You can simply avoid them, or you can turn an enabler into a positive influence. The latter will require more work, so be aware of this. People are resistant to change, even when their intentions are good.
When you have a goal or a dream, don’t let anything stand in your way. Enablers hold you back. They prevent you from success by encouraging the very behavior that made you unhappy to begin with.
So throw out the junk food. Join a gym. Go where you need to go. Find the people you want to be like. Connect with them. Make it happen.
Reinvent yourself – and never look back.Found this post useful and want more? Subscribe to our Blog feed
About TravisTravis Steffen is a Master Trainer and founder of WorkoutBOX. After years of experience training professional athletes and thousands of others just like you, he knows exactly what it takes to get you in serious shape. Follow his expert guidance and you're guaranteed to get amazing results.Want to hear even more of what Travis has to say? Keep in touch with him on Facebook and Twitter!
Like this? Share it:
Done reading? Here are a few related posts:
- Why? That’s the question I want you to ask yourself. Why do you want to get in shape? Why now? What changed between the time you were satisfied laughing off how fat you were getting and now – the time when...
- The Cure for Laziness Competition. It drives many of us in one way or another – even if you don’t realize it – and it can literally KILL laziness. It can ignite a motivational fire so bright that you wonder how something that powerful...
- Find an Outlet I know why you’re here. You want to burn fat, tone your muscle, get a 6 pack, lose the baby weight, build your arms up, look good in a bathing suit, etc. etc. The list goes on. Don’t get me...